This document outlines Melbourne International Film Festival (Filmfest Limited) ticketing Terms and Conditions. MIFF may vary these Terms and Conditions at any time. MIFF will post the varied Terms and Conditions on its website. By purchasing a ticket, you agree to abide by these Terms & Conditions.
All sessions are restricted to those 18 years & over (except where otherwise indicated) due to Film and Censorship guidelines for unclassified films. Infants are included in this restriction and will not be allowed access to the cinema. This policy is strictly adhered to.
Unauthorised recording and/or distribution of material recorded at any festival event or session constitutes a breach of copyright and is strictly prohibited. Any person caught attempting to make a recording will be removed from the session and the material will be destroyed or deleted. Such persons may also be subject to legal action.
Single Ticket Purchases:
- All single tickets are non-refundable but can be exchanged for an equal or lesser dollar value ticket online for an exchange fee of $1 per ticket, or in person or over the phone for $2.50 per ticket. Any cost difference between the two tickets will not be refunded. Single ticket exchanges close 2 hours prior to the event start time.
- NO EXCHANGE OR REFUND IS OFFERED ON OUR SPECIAL EVENTS (including Opening Night Gala, Closing Night Gala, Centrepiece Gala and 37South events).
- Mini Passes are not valid for the MIFF 68 1/2 digital festival in 2020.
- Mini Passes cannot be refunded either in full or part. Tickets booked on a Mini Pass can be exchanged online for an exchange fee of $1 per ticket, or in person or over the phone for $2.50 per ticket. Exchanges close 2 hours prior to session start times.
- Mini Passes are for a single person's use and are not transferable to another person or refundable.
- Mini Passes provide admission to any 10 standard festival sessions including VR and most MIFF Talks (excluding Opening Night, Closing Night, Centrepiece Gala, Special Events or most Industry events), plus three bonus weekday sessions before 5pm (valid Monday–Friday only).
- Share Passes are not valid for the MIFF 68 1/2 digital festival in 2020.
- Share Passes cannot be refunded either in full or part. Tickets booked on a Share Pass can be exchanged online for an exchange fee of $1 per ticket, or in person or over the phone for $2.50 per ticket. Exchanges close 2 hours prior to session start times.
- Share Passes provide 12 admissions to standard festival sessions including VR and most MIFF Talks.
- Share Passes allow for a maximum of 4 people to be booked into a standard session.
- Share Passes are not valid for use on Opening Night, Closing Night, Centrepiece Gala, Special Events or most Industry events.
- Passports are not valid for the MIFF 68 1/2 digital festival in 2020.
- Passports can only be acquired as part of a Deluxe Membership package.
- Passports are for a single person's use and are not transferable to another.
- Passports cannot be refunded either in full or part. Sessions booked on a passport can be exchanged or cancelled free of charge online, in person or over the phone. Exchanges close two hours prior to session start times.
- To guarantee entry to a session, Deluxe members must pre-book all sessions on their Passport (subject to availability).
- Passports are valid for any one film within a specific session grouping (sessions are grouped according to start time, and have the same last 3 digits in the session code when in the same group) at any allocated time. This excludes Opening Night, Closing Night, Centrepiece Gala and Special Events.
- Passports do not provide admission to some sessions and Special Events including Opening, Centrepiece and Closing Night Galas.
- Lost passes can be replaced for a fee at the MIFF Box Office if you provide valid ID.
- If collecting in person, PASSPORTS may ONLY be collected from the MIFF Box Office by the person who holds the corresponding Deluxe Membership. The credit card used to purchse the Deluxe Membership and the membership card must be produced to collect the Passport.
- A booking fee of up to $7.90 applies for bookings made online, or via phone based on the dollar value of the booking. The booking fee covers the costs of infrastructure associated with taking, processing and fulfilling your booking.
- No booking fee applies to over the counter sales/door sales.
- No additional fees are charged for payment via credit card.
- When redeeming, Passport, Share Pass and Mini Pass holders are exempt from booking fees if the order total is $0 when checking out. If the passholder has purchased additional tickets, then the booking fee applies.
- Gift vouchers are treated as cash and cannot be replaced if lost or stolen.
- Gift Vouchers can be used to redeem products sold via the MIFF ticketing channels only. Gift vouchers cannot be redeemed for MIFF events ticketed by external venues.
- Gift vouchers may only be used for purchasing MIFF admission tickets, passes and memberships.
- Gift Vouchers cannot be used for purchases as part of the MIFF 68 1/2 digital festival in 2020.
- Gift vouchers cannot be used for any other purchases (including without limitation, candy bar purchases or any purchases from festival partners and/or sponsors) unless expressly specified.
- Gift vouchers cannot be returned or exchanged (whether in whole or in part) for cash. The value stated on the voucher (or remaining on the voucher after partial redemption) is expressed inclusive of GST.
- Any purchases which exceed the value of the gift voucher will require the holder to pay the difference in price using another form of tender. No change will be given and any remaining balance will remain on the gift voucher to be used in whole or in part against future purchases.
- Gift vouchers will expire 36 months from date of issue. Any balance that remains on the gift voucher after expiry will not be available for any use.
- Bookings may only be collected in person by the credit card holder on presentation of the credit card used for the booking, the booking number, and any relevant concessions.
- All sessions are general admission only, except the Opening Night Gala. To guarantee a good seat for general admission sessions, please arrive early.
- Valid Concession or membership ID must be presented when buying or collecting tickets and, if requested, on entry to the cinema.
- A valid Companion Card or valid Companion Card Number must be produced at the time of the booking to gain access to the Companion Card Scheme offer. The companion card must be presented, if requested, upon entry to the cinema. Details of use are contained on the Companion Card website: companioncard.org.au.
- Group Prices are available for indicated screenings, when 10 people or more purchase the group price in a singular transaction.
- MIFF Schools sessions – customers under 18 years of age pay the Child rate; those over 18 years of age pay the Single Ticket rate or the Weekday Special rate, whichever is applicable to the scheduled session.
- MIFF Schools and MIFF Kids Family package is valid for 2 Adults and 2 Children (under 18 Years of age), or 1 Adult and 3 Children.
- MIFF Schools and MIFF Kids – To gain entry children under the age of 15 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian who is over 18 years of age.
- MIFF will endeavour to operate standby queues for all sold out sessions. Entry is subject to availability and not guaranteed.
- MIFF reserves the right to deny any person admission to any festival-managed venues.
- All persons seeking admittance to attend an event or session must have a valid ticket, irrespective of their age.
- MIFF accepts a range of concessions to help keep the festival accessible to all. We offer concession tickets on events (where listed) to MIFF members, full-time students, pensioners, healthcare-card holders and seniors. We also offer concessions to the following industry groups: MEAA, AFI, SPAA, ACS, ADG, AWG, ASE, MQFF and ACMI. A current ID, pre-arranged letter of concession or concession (union) card must be presented when buying or collecting tickets and, if requested, on entry to the cinema.
- Latecomers may not be admitted to a session, and tickets may be re-sold to a standby queue. There are no exchanges or refunds available if patrons arrive late to a session.
- MIFF offers priority service to its deluxe members. We reserve the right to let our deluxe members choose their seats first.
Session changes or cancellations:
- Particulars of the session or event may be changed without prior notice. Films, artists or performers may be added, withdrawn or substituted for specific performances or sessions. In the case of a cancelled film, MIFF will offer exchanges or return the booking onto your pass to allow you to purchase another film. Passes may not be refunded in full or part based on a film change.
- MIFF reserves the right to change the film format if necessary, and will notify customers of the change by email.
- MIFF reserves the right to change the screening date, time or venue if necessary, and will notify customers of the change by email.
- In some instances, MIFF may also contact customers via SMS or phone.
- If your contact details are out of date, or not provided to MIFF at the time of booking, we may be unable to contact you regarding any session changes or cancellations.
- Only tickets and memberships purchased through miff.com.au, a MIFF Box Office, the MIFF Call Centre, or selected partner venues are valid for use at MIFF.
- Entry to a session may be refused if the authenticity of a ticket is questionable, including if the ticket has been damaged or defaced, or has not been purchased through an authorised channel.
- Tickets may not be resold or offered for resale at a premium or used for advertising, promotion or other commercial purposes without the prior written consent of MIFF. If a ticket is sold or used in breach of this condition, the ticket may be cancelled without refund and the ticketholder may be refused admission.
- Membership cards are non-transferable and valid identification will be requested when making ticket purchases or pick-ups.
- Members must be paid up until the end of the festival in order to qualify for membership discounts during the festival.
- Passes and tickets purchased at member prices are strictly non-transferrable.
- Concession Membership prices apply to the holders of a card for the following concession types only: Seniors, Healthcare Card-holders, Carer Card holders and full-time students. Proof of concession is required on application.
- A member can purchase a maximum of two Mini Passes per year, and no more than one ticket per session only at the discounted member rate.
- A member may purchase no more than two tickets to Opening Night and two tickets to Closing Night at the discounted member rate.
- Members must provide a valid membership card to receive full program benefits. If a membership card is not presented membership program benefits may be denied.
- Membership cards remain the property of the Melbourne International Film Festival.
- Lost membership cards must be reported to the MIFF office.
- Access to preview screenings may be restricted for members' guests pending venue capacity.
- Melbourne International Film Festival reserves the right to make changes to the membership program without notice, as deemed necessary.
- Priority entry to screening venues is not guaranteed for latecomers.
- Priority queues may be subject to spot membership card checks, to ensure the integrity of the Deluxe Member program.
- A Deluxe Member’s Festival Passport is strictly non-transferrable and is valid for one entry per session.
- All sessions must be pre-booked and Festival Passports will be scanned at the door for entry.
- A Deluxe Member's Festival Passport is valid for standard sessions including VR, and Talks.
- A Deluxe Member's Festival Passport is not valid for Opening Night, Closing Night, Centrepiece Gala, Special Events and most Industry Events.
- Tickets must be pre-booked using your Festival Passport to guarantee admission to a session.
- Deluxe Members can purchase a maximum of two single tickets for special events, and a maximum of two single tickets to each of Opening and Closing Night at the discounted members’ rate.
- Deluxe Members cannot purchase additional Festival Passports.
The festival has taken the necessary steps to ensure that all membership details are securely maintained. As part of the marketing operations of the festival, members may at various times receive information from sponsors or associated organisations. The distribution of any sponsor or third party material is at all times controlled by the festival. Contact details of members are provided to third parties for the purposes of fulfilling membership only. By applying to become a member you are expressly agreeing to the festival acting in this manner.
Privacy and security of details:
- Your personal details will never be sold to a third party by MIFF or passed on for marketing purposes. MIFF stores your personal and payment details securely.